Last week IRS updated the FAQs on its website regarding reporting on Form 8938 and added few more questions. Few noteworthy clarifications are:
- Tangible assets held for investment (e.g., art, antiques, jewelry, and cars) do not have to be reported.
- Safe deposit box is not a financial account.
- The omission of Form 8938 with the original return requires an amended return to be filed with the form attached.
- Filing of Form 8938 does not remove the requirement to file Form TD F 90-22.1 (Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts), if otherwise required.
- Directly held precious metals, such as gold, are not specified foreign financial assets. Note, however, that gold certificates issued by a foreign person may be a specified foreign financial asset that you would have to report on Form 8938, if the total value of all your specified foreign financial assets is greater than the applicable reporting threshold.