Want to help Japan’s tsunami victims? Here is an advice from IRS

Many people are very perturbed by the recent devastation in Japan. IRS reminds these people about the importance of donating only to the “qualified” charities in order to take the deduction on their 2011 tax returns. Here is the excerpt from IRS bulletin:

“Many people may wish to contribute to relief funds for the victims of Japan’s recent earthquake and tsunami. 

The IRS reminds taxpayers there are some simple steps they can take to ensure that their contributions go to qualified charities. Taxpayers who have a specific charity in mind can make sure that it is a qualified charity by doing a search on IRS.gov. Some organizations, such as churches or governments, may be qualified even though they are not listed on IRS.gov.

The IRS reminds donors that contributions to foreign organizations generally are not deductible.

To get a tax benefit for making a charitable contribution, taxpayers must itemize their deductions on Schedule A for the year in which they made the contribution.”